Unlimited storage is being phased out
- 50GB storage quotas were implemented on accounts created July 8, 2020 or later.
- 2nd phase of quotas applied to Box accounts in late October, 2021. Learn more about the storage changes project.
- We will communicate to existing Box account holders about storage changes as the project progresses
Box allows users to share individual, group, or departmental files, including documents, photos, research, and more.
Best Uses for Box?
Box is a good solution when you:
- Need to manage a collection of files for your department or group, retaining departmental ownership of files
- Want granular control over what each user is allowed to do with the files they have access to
- Would like metadata, tags, and commenting features
- Want to utilize real-time co-authoring in Microsoft Office products
- Need the ability to collaborate with colleagues outside of UC Berkeley
Review Collaboration Options
At a Glance
- Intuitive folder structure that allows for granular permissions
- Collaborate with other users through sharing, commenting, and web-editing
- Box for Office Online allows you to create, manage, and use real-time co-authoring features in Microsoft Office online
- With Box Notes you can take notes, in real-time with your team, without leaving Box
- Mobile apps available
- Desktop apps available that allow bConnected users to sync their Box accounts to desktops.
- Cloud-based hosting
- Approved for UC P3 data (formerly UCB PL1)*
- Data encrypted in transit and at rest
- 50GB storage caps will be introduced for newly created accounts on June 22, 2020
*Box is not acceptable for any institutional data classified as "critical," including certain personally identifiable human subject data. Please visit the Security website for detailed information related to acceptable data use on Box.