Leaving UC Berkeley

Find information about bConnected account access when you are leaving UC Berkeley. Also see Account Eligibility information.


  • Upon separation, set an out of office responder on your email account alerting people of your departure, providing an alternative way to reach you or a departmental contact if desired. 
  • Once your CalNet grace period ends, your email account will be canceled* and you will not be able to access email (or Google Drive) data. If you need to keep your email content, be sure to transfer it to a personal account using Google's Takeout Transfer tool before cancelation occurs

*With the following exceptions:

  • Eligible alumni & attendees should refer to Alumni Email Changes for more information about email access for alumni.
  • Retirees can register for the Retiree email service to retain email account
  • Emeriti will retain email accounts 

Google Groups/Email Lists

Visit the Manage Lists page to determine whether you need to delete or transfer ownership of mailing lists that you own. Consider transferring ownership to a Special Purpose Account(link is external) (SPA) rather than to an individual. 


Prior to leaving the university, make sure to transfer any instititionally owned content to a Special Purpose Account (SPA), or other individual at UC Berkeley to preserve retention of content. 

Accessing former employee email or files

Please review the UC Berkeley Office of Ethics website for detailed information regarding accessing former employee email or files. 

Google Drive

More thorough instructions and tutorials will be published in February 2024.

If you own Google docs, forms, sheets, etc. content that is currently being used by other individuals at UC Berkeley, or content otherwise owned by the university, make sure to move your content into a Shared Drive to ensure your content isn't deleted after your departure. 

Transfer any personal information from bDrive to a personal account or other file storage using the following options.

If you have approximately 150 GB or less of content in your Google Drive

  • Use Google Takeout Transfer.
    • Make sure to purchase adaquate storage for your personal account before starting your transfer.
    • Takeout Transfer can take several days to weeks to complete. Please be patient. You'll receive an email when the transfer is complete.

If you have more than 150 GB of content in your Google Drive

  • You should download the content instead of using Google Takeout or Transfer. Rather than downloading your content from the Google Drive webpage, or using Google Takeout, we recommend using the Google Drive for Desktop app.
    • If you need to download select folders,  you should mark those files as available offline, then copy them from your Google Drive to another location. Please see the instructions for more details.
    • If you need to download your entire Google Drive, you should use Google's mirroring feature. Mirror all your content, then disconnect your account once done. You can switch between the default streaming and mirroring settings without losing any content. Please see the instructions for more details.