About the Program
The Productivity and Collaboration Service Team Internship Program is an opportunity for current OCIO/IST Represented and Non-Represented career employees to work alongside Productivity and Collaboration Services teams.
Productivity and Collaboration Services (PCS) will reimburse the home department for the percentage of time spent with PCS.
Salary, classification, benefits, and paid time-off accruals will remain the same.
The work of interns will be at the Business Systems Analyst 3 level. Stipends will be/can be considered for employees hired in positions below PSS Level 3.
Timesheet: The home department will continue to be responsible for the intern's timesheet, with input from PCS.
Vacation Requests: Intern will submit a request by emailing both managers. Upon email approval, the intern will record the time off in CalTime.
- Read about the internship below.
- Meet with your manager to seek support for applying for the internship.
- Submit an online application including resume and cover letter before EOB on October 9, 2020.
- If you have any questions about the program please contact Jon Hays
For staff, the internship is an opportunity for current IST employees to develop their IT service operations and management skills in the Software as a Service (SaaS) domain. Through this internship, staff will:
be given time to gain online credentials/certifications in ITIL IT Service Management
be provided specific training and/or certification(s) in cloud environments including Zoom, Box, Microsoft O365, Sharepoint Online and Adobe CC.
strengthen their career path potential, network with new colleagues, and contribute to the campus mission.
Specifically, staff will learn:
IT Service Management concepts and established campus procedures to ensure adherence to IT Service Level agreements
Communications and change management practices and procedures
Configuration management and security practices for campus SaaS offerings
Incident response and vendor escalation processes
For departments, interns will bring back knowledge of SaaS management practices and standards to the home department. Departments will achieve cost savings this fiscal year.
Productivity and Collaboration Services (PCS) provides service management and operational support to core IT services and software offered to faculty, students and staff as part of a suite of collaboration and productivity tools funded by the IT Productivity Suite and the Student Technology Fund.
Examples of potential responsibilities include:
- Assist Service Leads by investigating outstanding issues and/or common support questions.
- Document known issues and Frequently Asked Questions working with help desk teams to share knowledge.
- Update and/or create Service Level Agreements and Service/Incident Reports.
- Learn and document cloud service enabled features and user configurations.
- Support the change management process through communications and outreach.
In addition, Service Team Interns will be expected to complete ITIL training and additional training focusing on Software as a Service (SaaS) currently supported by the team.
Successful candidates will have a thorough knowledge of many of the following areas as well as the curiosity and motivation to develop in others through this experience:
- Strong general IT knowledge and experience, including support, troubleshooting, and security best practices for a variety of desktop/server operating systems and software
- Strong interest in IT service management and desire to pursue career growth in this exciting field
- Familiarity with, or ability to learn, UC Berkeley campus and system-wide (Office of the President) security policies and standards
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to effectively communicate across a broad range of campus audiences
Work Hours and Conditions
Under a memorandum of understanding (MOU) between PCS and the home department, the Productivity and Collaboration Service Team Intern will maintain their current appointment, including job classification and salary. Additional conditions:
- The internship will last between 4-6 months at 25-50% FTE (strong preference given to candidates who are able to commit 6 months at 50%) based on negotiations with the home department.
- Interns must obtain permission from their immediate supervisor and department Director.
- There must be a plan to cover the workload in the home department during the internship.