The UC Berkeley Storage Changes Transition team will work to make the change as seamless as possible for the campus community. This is the tentative high-level plan. This plan may change as the project progresses.
September 2020 - April 2022
- Implement 2nd phase of quotas
Starting Oct. 27, 2021, the following quotas will apply to Box accounts created before July 2020: Individual Accounts: 50GB, Special Purpose Accounts (SPAs): 500GB. If a Box account exceeds these values, the quota will be established at 10% above current usage.
- Trash retention changes
- Starting Oct. 27, 2021 files in the trash will automatically be emptied 30 days after being put in the trash. Files in trash that are 30+ days old when the setting change goes into effect will not be emptied for 30 days, which will be Nov. 26, 2021.
- Migration of largest Box users to new storage options
- Compiling a list of storage options as adaptations to storage limits
- Assistance with migration of data for Box users exceeding quota
- Implement 3rd phase of quotas
April 2022 - March 2023
- Fall 2022: Finish migration of Box users to alternative solutions
- Examine possibilities for continued use of Box services on campus, perhaps as a recharge-based service for scaled back population